OWWA’s Seafarers’ Upgrading Program (SUP) intends to provide job-related training in upgrading the knowledge, skills and develop expertise among Filipino seafarers in accordance with technological advancements and global maritime standards.
It is in the form of financial assistance with OWWA assuming the training cost as prescribed in the existing implementing guidelines (as of this posting at maximum of Php 7,500). The applicant may choose his/her preferred training course accredited by TESDA from the list of OWWA recognized training providers where he/she intends to enroll.
Seafarers with valid OWWA membership contribution at the time of application shall be entitled to avail of SUP under any of the following condition:
- single contribution for first time availment
- subsequent entitlements every after 3 recorded payment of OWWA membership contributions.
- Proof of OWWA membership (can be secured at OWWA-MPC Rm. 105)
- Accomplished Application Form
- Seafarers’ Identification and Record Book (SIRB) and/or Passport (Valid Original Copy)
- 2″ x 2″ photo (2 copies)
- Cargo Handling and Care of Cargo
- Deck Watch Keeping (DWK)
- Electronic Chart Display Information System (ECDIS)
- General Operator’s Course for Global Maritime Distress Safety System (GOC for GMDSS)
- Radar Navigation, Radar Plotting and use of ARPA (RNRPUA)
- Radio Electronics Officers’ Course (REOC)
- Radar Simulator Course
- Ship Simulator Bridge Team Work (SSBT)
- Trim and Stability
- Auxiliary System
- Control Engineering
- Engine Room Simulator (ERS)
- Engine Watch Keeping (EWK)
- Lathe Machine Course
- Marine Diesel Engineering
- Shipboard Welding and Lathe Machine
- Advanced Training in Fire Fighting (ATFF)
- Crisis Management
- Crowd Management
- Hazardous Material (HAZMAT)
- Marine Pollution Consolidated (MARPOL I-VI)
- Medical Care (MECA)
- Medical Emergency First Aid (MEFA)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat (PSCRB)
- Shore Based Fire Fighting
- Specialized in Oil Tanker
- Specialized in Chemical Tanker
- Specialized in Liquified Gas Tanker
- Catering Management – Chief Cook Course
- Basic Food Service Management
- Galley and Provision Management
- Housekeeping Management (Steward Course)
- Advanced Messman Course
- International Cooking
- Specialty Cuisine
- Baking Basic
- A Notice of Award (NOA) shall only be issued for every approved SUP Application. Release of NOA should be subject to residency of applicant. For NCR residents, processing of applications is within 2 working days upon submission of complete documents. For non-NCR residents, after 7 working days upon submission of complete documents subject to verification with other 16 OWWA Regional Welfare Offices.
- Validity of NOA is within 45 days upon its approval date.
- Enrollment in the training center requires presentation of the NOA.
- Availee/Grantee is required to complete or comply with the requirements of the course.
The information above was taken from their respective sources. I don’t own it in any way, I’m just sharing it to the people who might need it. On the date of posting the information given is the latest from the specific sources. Updates from the sources may not reflect to this post on the later date unless otherwise stated.