Obtaining a Chief Mate license, certification, or re-validation in MARINA is sometimes confusing. That’s why we need a summarized list of documentary requirements based on MARINA’s STCW Circular No. 2014-10. Feel free to check the licensing, certification, and re-validation requirements below.
- Accomplished C/M Licensure Examination Form
- Birth certificate showing that the candidate is not less than 20 years of age (NSO authenticated);
- Approved seagoing service, for a period of:
- Class I
- Not less than 12 months as OIC-NW on ships of 500 gt or more; OR
- Class II
- Holder of valid COC as OIC-NW on ships of 500 gt or more, and approved seagoing service as such (no minimum duration); and
- In addition, the following requirements must be submitted under the following circumstances:
- If the approved seagoing service for Class I or Class II is beyond 5 years ago, proof of passing the theoretical examination for OIC-NW 500 GT and above (based on STCW Circular 2014-8, Annex 1), compliant with the STCW 2010 Amendments, under Regulations II/2.2.1 and II/2.4.1;
- If applying for Class I, but the approved seagoing service as OIC-NW is on ships between 500 and 3,000 gt only, an approved specialized training program in “Maneuvering and Handling a Ship 3,000 gt and above”.
- The above approved seagoing service may not be substituted with other types of approved service, as those equivalents may be allowed only for Revalidation of Certificate of Competency.
- Approved Training Record Boook (TRB) as proof of in-service experience that meets the requirements of specific Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) under certain competences, under Section A-II/2 of the STCW Code, while a holder of the COC for OIC-NW 500GT and above, as alternative to specific modules in the MLCD;
- Valid Medical Certificate, which shall not be more than 2 years from the date of issuance, from DOH-accredited clinic/hospital with QSS in place, in accordance with Regulation I/9 of the STCW Convention; and
- Proof of successful completion of the approved MLCD, or its approved alternative(s);
- In relation to the alternative(s) under Item 5 where the candidate claims partial completion of the management level education and training under the approved BSMT, Transcript of Records (TOR) with S.O. Number, from an accredited MHEI, clearly showing the proof of partial completion of the approved education and training program that meets the standard of competence specified in Section A-II/2 of the STCW Code, or as otherwise approved by the Administration.
- Accomplished Chief Mate Certification Form
- Theoretical Examination Result
- Practical Assessment for Management Level
- GOC Examination (under NTC)
- Assessment of competence in Basic Training
- Assessment of competence in Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat other than Fast Rescue Boat
- Assessment of competence in Advance Fire fighting
- Assessment of competence in Medical First Aid
- Assessment of competence in Medical Care
- Proof of successful completion of the approved ECDIS simulator training or its alternative.
- Proof of successful completion of the approved MLCD or its approved alternatives.
- Approved seagoing service on ships of 500 GRT which is not beyond 5 years ago.
- Class I
- Not less than 12 months as OIC – NW
- Class II
- Holder of valid COC as OIC – NW on shipsof 500 GRT or more, and approved seagoing service as such (minimal duration only)
- Valid Medical Certificate, which shall not be more than 2 years from the date of issuance, from DOH-Accredited Clinic/Hospital with QSS in place, in accordance with Regulation I/9 of the STCW Convention;
- Assessment of Competence (Basic Training, Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats, Advance Fire Fighting, Medical First Aid and Medical Care
- Approved Seagoing Service or its approve alternatives
- Proof of Successful Completion of Training in MLC-D
- Valid Medical Certificate, which shall not be more than 2 years from the date of issuance, from DOH-Accredited Clinic/Hospital.
The information above was taken from their respective sources. I don’t own it in any way, I’m just sharing it to the people who might need it. On the date of posting the information given is the latest from the specific sources. Updates from the sources may not reflect to this post on the later date unless otherwise stated.
Copyright 2016 by PinoyMariner at www.pinoymariner.com